The GPL (Gnu Public License)
- GPL = GNU Public License
- GNU = "GNU is not UNIX". an akronym which contains itself :)
- GPL/GNU is what many people mix up with Linux.
- GPL/GNU is the reason, why SUN was so successful with their UNIX.
- GPL/GNU is the reson, why Linux is so successful.
- GPL is a Licensing Scheme.
- GNU-Software may be used for free, even for commercial purposes.
- GPL-Software is always available as sourcecode.
- A Licence once under the GPL, can not be revoked.
- The list of professional, first class, overwhelming Software includes hundreds of Products.
- This is a short overview of the most popular Highlights:
- Linux (The UNIX-Kernel for 80x86)
more severe: What most people thik is Linux, that is actually 99% GNU-Software.
- Apache (The doubtless worldwide best Webserver.)
- Bind (The best DNS Server.)
- gcc (Super Cross-Compiler)
- Mozilla (GPL-Version of Netscape) (Is now the BASE of Netscape)
- Perl (very popular, heterogenous Scripting-Language)
- Sendmail (The worldwide best (only?) Mail-Server)
- Samba (The better, performanter SMB-Server)
- StarOffice (A slow Office-Packet v. Sun Microsystems,
nevertheless, it winns the price-contest against Office)
- Squid (The Proxy-Server)
- CVS (The Sourcecodemanagement System)
- mysql (The Lightweight sql-Database without Transaction-support.
Perfekt for Webservers, because selects work much faster, then with transaction-oriented databases.
mysql is the currently most used SQL-DB in the GPL-World.
(Extrem popular and powerful Skripting for Webserver)
- These products are usually better, faster, more stable, then comparable commercial products.
- The have a wordwide developer community.
- Serious bugs are usually fixed over night. (Commercials only reach this exceptionally.)
- No producer can stop his own product. This means:
- In contrast to commercials, these products can only die, when no one uses them any more.
- They can not die, because a producer doesn't want to support it anymore, or sells it's ownership.
- Because of those reasons: GPL outplays any commercial Licensing scheme.
- Because of those reasons: GPL-Software is the OS of the future.
- Warning: Many of those products are somehow complex.
- Short: "Click and 3 x Return, Intallation done" won't work.